Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Let's be Serious


You know when something really awful happens and you feel terrible about it and you mope around and feel like crap but then something funny happens, and for that second or two you manage to forget the tragedy and just have a laugh?    But then, after your laugh you remind yourself, “Oh yeah, I shouldn’t be laughing because so and so just died!” and then you feel really guilty about laughing.   But you shouldn’t.  What you should feel guilty about is forgetting who it was that died and you had to refer to them as “so and so”.  

Bad things happen all the time, it’s a given, so why not have a chuckle when the moment presents itself?   I say go to a stranger’s funeral and just laugh it up, really loudly.   It can be very therapeutic.     Another great time for a laugh is during business meetings, especially when your boss is sharing some really bad news about losing capital or high SG&A adversely affecting the P&L.   I find that giggling throughout can really boost my spirit.  I often get depressed in meetings because I don’t know what an SG&A is.   It probably has something to do with something or other.    But that’s just an educated guess.

We shouldn’t focus on the bad things though.  We should rather focus on the annoying things, because those things we can complain about and that will make us feel better in a constructive way.   For instance, something that really annoys me is men who carry around shoulder bags.   A guy in a suit may need to tote a briefcase because there are probably important papers in there (probably about SG&As) but some dude carrying a shoulder bag (or man purse if you prefer) just screams “Douche Bag!”  Or maybe that screaming is just coming from me, usually from across the street, “Hey Douche bag, what are you carrying around in that shoulder bag?!?!  Your Goddamn lunch?!?!?!”   Because really, I only carry a wallet, my car keys, a pack of smokes and sometimes when I remember to take it, my stupid work Blackberry.   All that stuff either fits in a pocket or if it’s too warm for a jacket, I just carry them.   No man should have so much stuff that it necessitates having a purse.   So please do me a favor… the next time you see one of those guys with a shoulder bag, just tackle him to the ground (trust me, he won’t put up a fight – he’s carrying a purse for God’s sake) and rip that bag away and report back to me what he’s got in there.   If it’s more than 4 things, kick him in the ribs while he’s down.  And while you’re at it, throw a stick into the spokes of a cyclist, because those bastards annoy everyone.  I mean really, is that stupid mushroom helmet necessary?   And if it is, there is no way those awful shorts and stupid ankle socks are doing anyone any good. 

The lesson here is that when something horrible happens in your life, don’t try focusing on the positive things because that just doesn’t work.   Focus instead on the annoying things, because those things are much more real.   Not to say that positive things don’t happen, I’m sure they do from time to time… but instead of trying to convince yourself that every cloud has a silver lining (how can a cloud have a lining?  Is it supposed to be an outline or something?  I’ve never seen a cloud with an outline.   And why would a lining on a cloud (even if it’s made of silver) be of any value to us?   “Oh no, it’s raining, but at least that cloud is lined with silver… but I’m still getting soaked.”)   Where was I?  Oh yeah, so when bad things happen, distract yourself with things that are annoying… kind of like this blog entry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment